The project was to design and construct a dedicated maintenance access way into the existing iron ore Rotary Car Dumper (RCD) vault at Esperance Port. The project had several unique engineering and construction challenges to minimise the impact on the Port’s train unloading operations and rail movements. These included;
- Construction in highly confined locations with restricted access to the RCD chamber and rail line.
- Relocation of operating services and utilities.
- Piling immediately adjacent to an operating rail line.
- Excavation and vault construction next to a continuously rotating RCD cell.
- Highly specialised underwater concrete pouring activities.