Scope of Work:
The Ore Handling Plant 4 Fines Upgrade (OHP4F) project provides additional mine capacity at the Mt Whaleback Mine. The fines circuit modifications from the screening area to the stockyard include speed increases to fines yard conveyors CV405, CV406 and CV601, replacement transfer chutes and sample station upgrades. The project is part of an overall program of works to deliver a significant throughput increase to the fines circuit.
Onyx Projects’ scope encompassed all aspects of engineering design including:
- Conveyor speed increases and changing of trough angle.
- Increase in motors power
- Relocation of drive pulleys.
- Replacement chutes utilising Discrete Element Modelling (DEM) design techniques.
- Structural assessment and design upgrades.
- Integration of new drives and auxiliaries
- New motor Rotor Resistance Cubicle starters
- Area lighting
- HV submission
- Power System Study
- Functional Safety Design
- Capital costs estimate and Construction Schedule
The tight project execution schedule required early procurement of long lead items before the design was completed.
Specific focus on the execution methodology was required to reduce shutdown durations and maximise out of shut works to limit impact on operations.
Onyx Projects completed the detailed design on time and within budget including the incorporation of a number of scope enhancements.
The use of our specialist in-house chute design expertise using DEM software optimised the chute modifications resulting in less significant structural modifications than were identified in the study phases.