Hope Downs 1 Mine Dewatering
The existing Hope Downs 1 Mine Dewatering System was inadequate to achieve the mine plan abstraction rate of 110ML/day.
Onyx Projects (OP) was commissioned initially to carry out a scoping study to determine the dewatering requirements for North East, North West and South Central Pits to achieve the mine plan peak target of 110ML/day.
OP were further commissioned to provide:
a) the engineering design for the pumps, pipe work, standpipes and the tie ins to the existing system required to dewater water from the North East, North West and South Central Pits.
b) construction implementation support and management of Contractors in collaboration with Rio Tinto Project Engineering group to increase the capacity of the dewatering system by:
- Installing new dewatering bores in the North East Pit, North West Pit and South Central Pit;
- Installing new magnetic flow meters to facilitate accurate measurement of the flow;
- Installing new water stands to suit the CAT 785 water truck;
- Upgrading the existing 33kV power supply to suit the new standpipes and the North East dewatering bores; and
- Installing a dewatered water collector pipeline approximately 14km in length to connect the South Central and North West Pits.